Tuesday 16 February 2016

One year on the pump

The pump has been a life changer; instead of eight injections a day i have one every three days and I just type in the carbs every time I eat instead of putting them in AND having an injection.

I really like the pump and I don't mind having to have it on me but the cannula gets in the way when I badly need the toilet.

So far I have had three different pumps - the first time was when my pump ran out of battery without warning and I was without insulin for hours and this made me super high. The second time I was at diving when my pump started beeping and it wouldn't stop and I had to go onto injections until Saturday, which felt really weird. Both of these happened in December.

Once in July my brother had a party and I was having a carb free meal (when I eat a meal of no carbs and 7 grams of protein and I can't eat anything 4 hours before or 4 hours after) but before the meal I had a bath and I was low. (When you are above 14 or below 4 the testing stops and you can eat carbs normally) I went downstairs and I had a ginormous bowl of pasta and a HUGE cupcake. When my mum and dad tested me in the night the result was HI (this is bad as it's off the scale!), and we realised that I had forgotten to put my pump on after the bath, so I didn't get any of the insulin for all that food!!!!!
 
Also on Christmas Day between 2:00am and 3:40am I was first high and my ketones were 1.9 and an hour later my ketones where 2.4. Super luckily when my dad called the out of hours it was my doctor so I didn't have to go to the hospital on Christmas Day

I absolutely love the pump and I can't believe it's already been a year that I've had it!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to read your write up, you're much better at blogging than your Daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. I hope it gets better and better for you. X

    ReplyDelete